OMS OLIU, GEMMA
Academic year 2019-20
|Subject name||NUTRITIONAL STATUS ASSESSMENT|
|Semester||2nd Q(SEMESTER) CONTINUED EVALUATION|
|Course number of credits (ECTS)||3|
|Type of activity, credits, and groups|
|Coordination||OMS OLIU, GEMMA|
|Teaching staff||E-mail addresses||Credits taught by teacher||Office and hour of attention|
|CURIÀ SAAD, RICARD JOSEPfirstname.lastname@example.org||1|
|OMS OLIU, GEMMAemail@example.com||4,8|
|RUBIÓ PIQUÉ, LAURAfirstname.lastname@example.org||4|
|TURMO IBARZ, ANAemail@example.com||1|
1. To know how to do and interpret the nutritional assessment of an individual at different physiological stages.
2. To know the methods of evaluation of the food intake.
3. To know the anthropometric and biochemical parameters to assess the nutritional status.
4. Acquire practical skills in the methods available to carry out the evaluation of the nutritional status and know how to interpret the results.
1. Design and carry out nutritional status assessment protocols, identifying the factors of nutritional risk.
2. To interpret the nutritional diagnosis, to evaluate the nutritional aspects of a medical history and to make the diet plan of action
3. Express yourself orally and in writing correctly
4. Resolve problems in a reasoned, clear and critical way
5. Show ability of analysis and synthesis
1. Components of the nutrition assessment. Medical history and physical examination
2. Evaluation of food intake in clinical practice
3. Anthropometric evaluation and body composition of the adult
4. Biochemical markers of the nutritional status
5. Evaluation of energy expenditure and physical activity
1. Evaluation of the intake using different food surveys
2. Evaluation of the nutritional status in pediatric age group
3. Evaluation of the nutritional state in the elderly
4. Evaluation of the nutritional status of athletes
These will be done with all the students. They have the purpose of giving an overview of the educational contents related to the specific knowledge of the course, highlighting those aspects that are related to the acquisition of competences, referring to the evaluation of the nutritional status of the individual .
The seminars will be held in the classroom and must be carried out in the group that corresponds to each student. They will consist of solving cases of practical cases, searching for information, analysis and discussion, complementing the contents developed in the master classes. The participation and discussion of the students will be stimulated.
The practices in the laboratory are compulsory, will be done in groups of 2 to 4 students and will take place in the Department of Food Technology in ETSEA or the Campus of Igualada. An individual practice report must be submitted at the scheduled date.
Activities related to the evaluation of the nutritional status of an individual will be carried out:
- Physical, anthropometric and body composition evaluation
- Calculation of dietary intake and energy needs
Acquisition of knowledge about the different components of the nutritional assessment: physics, dietetics, anthropometrics and biochemistry.
Exhibition, treatment and discussion abou the assessment of nutritional status at different physiological situations
Physical, anthropometric and body composition assessment
The assessment will consist of the weighted average of 3 grades, obtained from the following elements:
1. Lectures (40%)
There will be 2 exams of the theoretical part, with questions of type and short answer.
The average of the qualifications of the written tests I and II must be higher than 5 to do the average with the rest of qualifications. If one of the exams is not approved, the suspended part (<5) will have to be recovered in the second call. On the other hand, the students approved will have the option to raise the grade in the second call. This type of assessment will represent 40% of the final mark and will have to be overcome to do the average with the rest of the activities, seminars and practices.
2. Activities proposed in the seminars (30%)
The mark will be calculated based on the arithmetic average obtained from the qualifications obtained by the student in the different activities proposed in the seminars.
3. Practices (30%)
They will be carried out in groups of 3-4 students and will take place in the Department of Food Technology or the Campus of Igualada. Activities related to nutritional evaluation will be carried out based on anthropometric techniques. Both the formal aspects, content and especially the discussion of results will be assessed through an individual report (20%). The rest of the note will correspond to the evaluation of the development of the practices (10%).
The student who wishes to do so will be entitled to the single assessment through an exam where the different face-to-face activities (theoretical classes and seminars) will be evaluated. However, it will be an indispensable requirement, the attendance to practices in the established dates.
- de Girolami DH., Fundamentos de valoración nutricional y composición corporal., Buenos Aires: El Ateneo; 2009.
- Bezares Sarmiento, Vidalma del Rosario. Evaluación del estado de nutrición en el ciclo vital humano (2a. ed.) McGraw Hill; 2014.
- Sirvent Belando, José Enrique; Garrido Chamorro, Raúl Pablo. Valoración Antropométrica De Composición Corporal: Cineantropometría. Editorial: UNIVERSIDAD DE ALICANTE; 2009